KLAYOUT Setup lost under Windows XP

edited November 2010 in KLayout Support
Hello,

I experienced a problem since last week : I lost my setup and now I cannot customize it anymore. Anytime I try to modify it, the window opens and immediately disappears and is replaced by a an error message stating
Expected a word or a quoted string here: :Right,zoo..

After I Ok'ed the message, Klayout closes!
I looked at the log viewer and the first line is always
ERROR: Problem reading config file:XML parser error: Expected a word or quoted string here: :Right;zoo .. in line 17, column 4235

I believe that last time KLayout worked correctly I had 4 windows opened and I closed them together using the right clik "Close Group" command of Windows. I'm wondering if this created a confusion in a kind of configuration file that saves the setup and creates my issue.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Klayout few times but it didn't help at all. Any ideas? Where are the data of the setup located? Can I remove them to recreate a clean setup?

Best regards

Comments

• edited November 2010

Hallo,

Thank you for that problem report.

The configuration file is located in you home directory and is called ".layviewrc". If you rename this file, KLayout should start with a blank configuration.

If it is possible, you can send the original file to the mail address listed on the Contacts page. I will be able to analyze the problem. From you description I suspect that something happened to your key binding settings. You can also try to fix the configuration file by editing line 17. Try to locate the place where it says ":Right". I assume the something is not correct around this location. The correct text there is somethink like "...Left;zoom_menu.pan_right:Right;zoom_menu.pan_up:Up;zoom_menu...".

I agree in any case, that it's not a friendly behavior to simply exit ;-)

Best regards,

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Hi Matthias,

Thank you so much! Works great now. For record here is what I had in the incorrect command custo :
    ;zoom_menu.pft:Light:Right;
    Don't know how it happened as I had not modified anything lately.

Keep this good tool working it's really great!

Nicolas
  • edited November -1
    Now that I got it better, may I suggest as a first "quick fix" to simply remove this file when uninstalling the program, or at least make it more visible : I really had no idea under Windows where to look, I checked the registry entries and many more locations. If it were for example in the install directory of KLayout then I would have seen it.

Regards,

Nicolas
  • edited November -1

Hi Nicolas,

I guess I think what happened: by coincidence, two instances of KLayout were writing the same config file thus the content got mixed up. This I can avoid by some kind of locking. Since I was spending some effort to keep the configuration compatible when a new version is being installed I would rather like to keep the configuration but implement some less unfriendly error handling if the configuration read fails - i.e. by resetting the configuration or similar.

Best regards,

Matthias