Python, nesting PCells

edited November 2015 in Layout
Hello,

I am trying to create complex PCells in Python, hence I would like to build up a PCell using other PCells (including ones provided in the Basic library).

I tried to combine some of the code examples, as below. It doesn't work. I end up with a main cell, with a sub cell, but the name shows up as "SiEPIC_EBeam_PCells.Basic.DONUT(r=0.000000..0.000000)", and the nested PCell is empty.

Is there a way to fix the above? Or perhaps it is possible to call only the function that draws the structure, i.e., "produce_impl"?

Thank you
Lukas

import pya
import math

"""
This Python file implements a library called "SiEPIC_EBeam_PCells" with PCells:
- Circle: draws a circle. It demonstrates the basic implementation techniques for a PCell
and how to use the "guiding shape" feature to implement a handle for the circle
radius.

NOTE: after changing the code, the macro needs to be rerun to install the new
implementation. The macro is also set to "auto run" to install the PCell
when KLayout is run.

Original version from KLayout examples
modified by Lukas Chrostowski 2015/11/05
"""

class DoubleBus_RingResonator(pya.PCellDeclarationHelper):
"""
The PCell declaration for the DoubleBus_RingResonator
"""

def __init__(self):

# Important: initialize the super class
super(DoubleBus_RingResonator, self).__init__()

# declare the parameters
self.param("l", self.TypeLayer, "Layer", default = pya.LayerInfo(1, 0))
self.param("s", self.TypeShape, "", default = pya.DPoint(0, 0))
self.param("r", self.TypeDouble, "Radius", default = 10)
self.param("w", self.TypeDouble, "Waveguide Width", default = 0.5)
self.param("g", self.TypeDouble, "Gap", default = 0.5)
self.param("n", self.TypeInt, "Number of points", default = 500)
# this hidden parameter is used to determine whether the radius has changed
# or the "s" handle has been moved
self.param("ru", self.TypeDouble, "Radius", default = 0.0, hidden = True)
self.param("rd", self.TypeDouble, "Double radius", readonly = True)

self.lib = pya.Library.library_by_name("Basic")
if self.lib == None:
raise Exception("Unknown lib 'Basic'")

self.pcell_decl = self.lib.layout().pcell_declaration("DONUT");
if self.pcell_decl == None:
raise Exception("Unknown PCell 'DONUT'")

# don't work for some reason...
# self.layer_index = self.layout.layer(pya.LayerInfo(1,0))

def display_text_impl(self):
# Provide a descriptive text for the cell
return "DoubleBus_RingResonator(R=" + ('%.3f' % self.r) + ",g=" + ('%.3f' % self.g) + ")"

def coerce_parameters_impl(self):

# We employ coerce_parameters_impl to decide whether the handle or the
# numeric parameter has changed (by comparing against the effective
# radius ru) and set ru to the effective radius. We also update the
# numerical value or the shape, depending on which on has not changed.
rs = None
if isinstance(self.s, pya.DPoint):
# compute distance in micron
rs = self.s.distance(pya.DPoint(0, 0))
if rs != None and abs(self.r-self.ru) < 1e-6:
self.ru = rs
self.r = rs
else:
self.ru = self.r
self.s = pya.DPoint(-self.r, 0)

self.rd = 2*self.r

# n must be larger or equal than 4
if self.n <= 4:
self.n = 4

def produce_impl(self):

# This is the main part of the implementation: create the layout

# Use Library: Basic, DONUT PCell
lib = pya.Library.library_by_name("Basic")
print lib.name()
if lib == None:

# locate the declaration
pcell_decl = lib.layout().pcell_declaration("DONUT");
if pcell_decl == None:
raise Exception("Unknown PCell 'DONUT'")

# to find the parameter variables, copy this into the Console:
#for p in pcell_decl.get_parameters():
# print p.name

# create the PCell variant
radius1=self.r-self.w/2
print radius1
param = {
# "layer": pya.LayerInfo(1, 0),
"layer": self.l,
"radius1": radius1,
"radius2": self.r+self.w/2,
"npoints": self.n
}

# Debug with hard coded parameters
param = {
"layer": pya.LayerInfo(1, 0),
"radius1": 10,
"radius2": 11,
"npoints": 40
}

pv = []
for p in pcell_decl.get_parameters():
if p.name in param:
pv.append(param[p.name])
else:
pv.append(p.default)

cell_index = self.layout.add_pcell_variant(lib, pcell_decl.id(), pv)

# place the PCell
t = pya.Trans(pya.Trans.R0, 0, 0)
self.cell.insert(pya.CellInstArray(cell_index, t))

# "fake PCell code" - http://klayout.de/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=547
text_cell = self.layout.create_cell("1T")
# self.pcell_decl.produce(self.layout, [ self.layer_index ], pv, text_cell)
self.pcell_decl.produce(self.layout, [ self.l_layer ], pv, text_cell)

# Debugging - make a circle...

# fetch the parameters
ru_dbu = self.ru / self.layout.dbu

# compute the circle
pts = []
da = math.pi * 2 / self.n
for i in range(0, self.n):
pts.append(pya.Point.from_dpoint(pya.DPoint(ru_dbu * math.cos(i * da), ru_dbu * math.sin(i * da))))

# create the shape
self.cell.shapes(self.l_layer).insert(pya.Polygon(pts))

class SiEPIC_EBeam_PCells(pya.Library):
"""
The library where we will put the PCell into
"""

def __init__(self):

# Set the description
self.description = "SiEPIC_EBeam_PCells"

# Create the PCell declarations
self.layout().register_pcell("Circle", Circle())
self.layout().register_pcell("DoubleBus_RingResonator", DoubleBus_RingResonator())
# That would be the place to put in more PCells ...

# Register us with the name "SiEPIC_EBeam_PCells".
# If a library with that name already existed, it will be replaced then.
self.register("SiEPIC_EBeam_PCells")

# Instantiate and register the library
SiEPIC_EBeam_PCells()

Comments

• edited November 2015

Hi Lukas,

Creating cells within PCells is possible, but I don't encourage it because this way the management of cells gets pretty messy. PCells can reference static cells from a library and PCells can instantiate other PCells (preferably from the same library). But it's not advisable to have PCells creating normal cells in their layout instantiation code. The PCell layout generation code is called quite often and each time a new, untracked cell will be generated, leading to an inflation of cells.

There is some more material about instantiating PCells within other PCells here: http://klayout.de/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=701

In general, it's cleaner and safer to actually embed the code which generates a PCell rather than instantiating a PCell.

Let me explain that using an example:

I'm assuming you have two PCells, A and B and PCell B likes to embed A. Assume both are in the same library then your Python code looks roughly like this:

class A(pya.PCellDeclarationHelper):
      def produce_impl(self):
        ... produce layout for PCell A with the given parameters

class B(pya.PCellDeclarationHelper):
      def produce_impl(self):
        ... create instance of PCell A with some parameters and instantiate it
        ... create more layout

If you organize the code differently and delegate the layout production you can avoid the instantiation:

# A function to produce the layout of A for parameters x, y, ...
    def produce_A(layout, x, y, ...):
      ... produce the layout for PCell A with parameters x, y, ... into layout

class A(pya.PCellDeclarationHelper):
      def produce_impl(self):
        produce_A(layout, x, y, ...)

class B(pya.PCellDeclarationHelper):
      def produce_impl(self):
        produce_A(layout, x_for_a, y_for_a, ...)
        ... create more layout

This will basically create a flat version of the same B. If you need the ability to transform layout to emulate the placement of a cell, you could do so by adding a transformation parameter to the "produce_A" function and set this parameter to "unity transformation" when generating A and a different transformation when producing the A layout for B.

I hope this is not too confusing. The basic message is: it's easier to use the actual layout generation code than to place a PCell. Modularizing ones code helps when implementing this scheme.

A special issue arises, if you want to utilize functionality which comes from the BASIC library where the production code is not readily available. The basic functionality can be recoded with little effort:

• To create a circle, you can use the Polygon#ellipse constructor
    • To create a donut, you can create two circles and add the smaller one as a hole to the first polygon. Alternatively you can utilize the Region class and it's boolean NOT operation to subtract the inner circle.
    • The rounded polygon functionality is available through low-level functions as well (i.e. Polygon#round_corners).

For more functionality like the TEXT PCell feature, the "fake PCell" trick comes into play. Since a PCell's generation code is accessible through the declaration object, you can explicitly call it if you provide a target cell and the necessary parameters. It's valid to supply a temporary cell or even a temporary layout object for that purpose, provided you delete it later.

Best regards,

Matthias

• edited November -1
    fantastic. the "def produce_A(layout, x, y, ...):" approach sounds great.
  • edited November 2015
    I have the basics working, namely using a function to create the layout within a PCell. I also got the polygon text working, however I have a concern about the "fake PCell" trick. Doesn't that just create a new cell each time the PCell code is executed? Instead of creating the text_cell each time (1T), can't we just add the polygons directly to the present cell? It seems that the fake cells created within a PCell eventually get orphaned and I get extra 1T$1, 1T$1$2, etc., cells.

# text_cell = self.layout.create_cell("1T")
    text_cell = self.cell
    self.textlayer_index = self.layout.layer(pya.LayerInfo(10,0))
    self.textpcell_decl.produce(self.layout, [ self.textlayer_index ], pv, text_cell)

t = pya.Trans(pya.Trans.R0, 0, 0)
    self.cell.insert(pya.CellInstArray(text_cell.cell_index(), t))

However, I get an error:

Caught the following exception:
    Internal error: /Users/sekigawakazunari/SVNWork/klayout-0.24.2/src/dbLayout.cc:1262 topological_sort () was not true in Library.register (Class exceptions.RuntimeError)
    Press 'Ok' to continue and 'Cancel' to stop in the debugger
  • edited November 2015

I ended up creating the following function, and calling it from a PCell:

def layout_pgtext(cell, layer, x, y, text, mag):
        # example usage:
        # cell = pya.Application.instance().main_window().current_view().active_cellview().cell
        # layout_pgtext(cell, pya.LayerInfo(10, 0), 0, 0, "test", 1)

# for the Text polygon:
        textlib = pya.Library.library_by_name("Basic")
        if textlib == None:

textpcell_decl = textlib.layout().pcell_declaration("TEXT");
        if textpcell_decl == None:
          raise Exception("Unknown PCell 'TEXT'")
        param = { 
          "text": text, 
          "layer": layer, 
          "mag": mag 
        }
        pv = []
        for p in textpcell_decl.get_parameters():
          if p.name in param:
            pv.append(param[p.name])
          else:
            pv.append(p.default)
        # "fake PCell code" 
        text_cell = cell.layout().create_cell("Temp_text_cell")
        textlayer_index = cell.layout().layer(layer)
        textpcell_decl.produce(cell.layout(), [ textlayer_index ], pv, text_cell)

# fetch the database parameters
        dbu = 1 / cell.layout().dbu
        t = pya.Trans(pya.Trans.R0, dbu*x, dbu*y)
        instance = cell.insert(pya.CellInstArray(text_cell.cell_index(), t))
        # flatten and delete polygon text cell
        cell.flatten(instance)

print "Done layout_pgtext"

• edited November -1

Hi Lukas,

The "Internal error: ... topological_sort () is not true" occurs if the layout hierarchy is recursive (cells instantiating itself or a parent of itself).

This is what basically happens, when you created the instance of "text_cell" inside itself in the first code.

The second code is a good and valid solution since it uses a temporary cell. Maybe it makes sense to delete the cell after the "flatten" call. I'm not sure if that happens automatically. It will still work without that, but the temporary cells will accumulate over time.

Best regards,

Matthias

• edited November 2015

1) In the above example, the code isn't quite right. It should be cell.flatten(True). It flattens everything under cell, namely the fake text_cell. But...

I notice that all the flatten functions you have flatten all the contents of the cell, but not the cell itself. Say I have a top cell containing cells fakeA and realB, and I want to flatten fakeA. fakeA.flatten() flattens the contents of fakeA, but leaves the cell fakeA in the top cell. Similarly, layout.flatten(fakeA...) does the same.

The GUI, you can select a cell, and flatten that particular one. But not in the script?

2) Earlier today, I had nested PCells working very well, but the more I spend time on it, I'm seeing more and more crashing. I was thinking flattening individual cells might help debug this.

I can nest several different PCells within one another, each calling it's sub-PCell using layout.create_cell. I can build nice layouts with this.

What I like about the nested PCells is that if I have sub-cells that are have the same parameters, KLayout doesn't make duplicate copies. And when I change the top-level parameters of one cell, the lower cells either separate out into different sub-cells if the parameters are different, or they disappear leaving only one copy. It's neat watching the Cells listing in flat mode to see cells coming and going as I change parameters.

But problems come up when I re-run the library self.register() function. In some cases, the crashing is pretty repeatable.

As you suggest, the fake cell approach seems more stable, but isn't quite as elegant to look at in the cell listing. Do you have a short-cut for this perhaps? instead of the 10 lines, I like the layout.create_cell ( pcellName, Library, parameters)

thank you
    Lukas

• edited November -1

Hi Lukas,

regarding 1.) Instance#flatten should provide the same functionality than the GUI - it will replace the instance by the shapes it represents. But the cell itself still remains. Instance#flatten is available with version 0.24.

Regarding the crashes - there is some improvement in that area in 0.24.3. Maybe that helps preventing the crashes. But in general re-registering a library is a very complex topic. KLayout has to remove all references and replace them by references to a new library. I'm quite sure I have not considered all potential implications of that. If possible I'd like to prevent crashes and if there is a situation which is reproducible I'm interested in debugging that problem. Maybe you can paste a stack trace if you happen to get one here.

But under normal operation, self.register should only be called once. I understand you are getting these crashes only while developing a PCell, do you?

Best regards,

Matthias

• edited November -1

Sorry to butt in, but it's possible lukasc is talking about selecting a child instance in the layout and choosing Edit > Selection > Flatten cell > All hierarchy levels. This flattens the entire instance. lukasc, is that correct?

The behavior Matthias is describing comes from, for example, right-clicking on the cell name in the cell hierarchy tree and choosing Flatten Cell.

I think the problem is that lukasc calls "cell" what is technically "instance".

David

• edited November 2015

Hi Matthias,

Re - crashing. Yes, they occur during self.register, while developing PCells. The following crash occurred after I copied and pasted a PCell in the code, renamed it, (didn't add a new register_pcell line) and ran the script.

Also, I've played with both approaches:

• class TestStruct_DoubleBus_Ring(pya.PCellDeclarationHelper):

• uses the DoubleBus_Ring produce function to draw the ring (called "fake" PCell in forums)
    • class TestStruct_DoubleBus_Ring2(pya.PCellDeclarationHelper):

• uses the DoubleBus_Ring PCell to draw the ring (more risky, but elegant)

where class DoubleBus_Ring(pya.PCellDeclarationHelper) is the sub-PCell.

They both seem to work just fine in the GUI. As you point out, it's the re-register that crashes it.

So I will keep exploring the nested PCell approach...

Signal number: 11
    Address: 0x0
    Program Version: KLayout 0.24.3 (2015-11-05 r3062)
    Backtrace:
    2   ???                                 0x0000000000000021 0x0 + 33
    3   klayout                             0x0000000105da0f5b _ZN3lay14InstanceMarker6renderERKNS_8ViewportERNS_16ViewObjectCanvasE + 1403
    4   klayout                             0x0000000105e0f93d _ZN3lay16ViewObjectWidget9do_renderERKNS_8ViewportERNS_16ViewObjectCanvasEb + 253
    5   klayout                             0x0000000109c8f362 _ZN3lay12LayoutCanvas10paintEventEP11QPaintEvent + 770
    6   QtGui                               0x000000010f529386 _ZN7QWidget5eventEP6QEvent + 1206
    7   klayout                             0x0000000109c90e3b _ZN3lay12LayoutCanvas5eventEP6QEvent + 43
    8   QtGui                               0x000000010f4d49db _ZN19QApplicationPrivate13notify_helperEP7QObjectP6QEvent + 251
    9   QtGui                               0x000000010f4d776b _ZN12QApplication6notifyEP7QObjectP6QEvent + 6651
    10  klayout                             0x0000000105d4730b _ZN3lay11Application6notifyEP7QObjectP6QEvent + 11
    11  QtCore                              0x000000010ffd4c06 _ZN16QCoreApplication14notifyInternalEP7QObjectP6QEvent + 118
    12  QtGui                               0x000000010f5246b1 _ZN14QWidgetPrivate10drawWidgetEP12QPaintDeviceRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 1841
    13  QtGui                               0x000000010f524e5a _ZN14QWidgetPrivate22paintSiblingsRecursiveEP12QPaintDeviceRK5QListIP7QObjectEiRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 1226
    14  QtGui                               0x000000010f5248ae _ZN14QWidgetPrivate10drawWidgetEP12QPaintDeviceRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 2350
    15  QtGui                               0x000000010f524e5a _ZN14QWidgetPrivate22paintSiblingsRecursiveEP12QPaintDeviceRK5QListIP7QObjectEiRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 1226
    16  QtGui                               0x000000010f5248ae _ZN14QWidgetPrivate10drawWidgetEP12QPaintDeviceRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 2350
    17  QtGui                               0x000000010f524e5a _ZN14QWidgetPrivate22paintSiblingsRecursiveEP12QPaintDeviceRK5QListIP7QObjectEiRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 1226
    18  QtGui                               0x000000010f5248ae _ZN14QWidgetPrivate10drawWidgetEP12QPaintDeviceRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 2350
    19  QtGui                               0x000000010f524e5a _ZN14QWidgetPrivate22paintSiblingsRecursiveEP12QPaintDeviceRK5QListIP7QObjectEiRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 1226
    20  QtGui                               0x000000010f5248ae _ZN14QWidgetPrivate10drawWidgetEP12QPaintDeviceRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 2350
    21  QtGui                               0x000000010f524e5a _ZN14QWidgetPrivate22paintSiblingsRecursiveEP12QPaintDeviceRK5QListIP7QObjectEiRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 1226
    22  QtGui                               0x000000010f524cde _ZN14QWidgetPrivate22paintSiblingsRecursiveEP12QPaintDeviceRK5QListIP7QObjectEiRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 846
    23  QtGui                               0x000000010f524cde _ZN14QWidgetPrivate22paintSiblingsRecursiveEP12QPaintDeviceRK5QListIP7QObjectEiRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 846
    24  QtGui                               0x000000010f524cde _ZN14QWidgetPrivate22paintSiblingsRecursiveEP12QPaintDeviceRK5QListIP7QObjectEiRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 846
    25  QtGui                               0x000000010f5248ae _ZN14QWidgetPrivate10drawWidgetEP12QPaintDeviceRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 2350
    26  QtGui                               0x000000010f474e22 _ZN14QWidgetPrivate21setEnabled_helper_sysEb + 13490
    27  AppKit                              0x00007fff99b146ea -[NSView _drawRect:clip:] + 4335
    28  AppKit                              0x00007fff99b11483 -[NSView _recursiveDisplayRectIfNeededIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectForView:topView:] + 3198
    29  AppKit                              0x00007fff99b11fa0 -[NSView _recursiveDisplayRectIfNeededIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectForView:topView:] + 6043
    30  AppKit                              0x00007fff99b102f3 -[NSThemeFrame _recursiveDisplayRectIfNeededIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectForView:topView:] + 333
    31  AppKit                              0x00007fff99b0c68b -[NSView _displayRectIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectForView:] + 2761
    32  AppKit                              0x00007fff99ac41ae -[NSView displayIfNeeded] + 1876
    33  AppKit                              0x00007fff99ac3a09 -[NSWindow displayIfNeeded] + 236
    34  AppKit                              0x00007fff99ac3672 _handleWindowNeedsDisplayOrLayoutOrUpdateConstraints + 936
    35  AppKit                              0x00007fff9a1f9171 __83-[NSWindow _postWindowNeedsDisplayOrLayoutOrUpdateConstraintsUnlessPostingDisabled]_block_invoke1540 + 46
    36  CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff91626127 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_AN_OBSERVER_CALLBACK_FUNCTION__ + 23
    37  CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff91626080 __CFRunLoopDoObservers + 368
    38  CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff91618188 __CFRunLoopRun + 872
    39  CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff91617bd8 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 296
    40  HIToolbox                           0x00007fff8f0ae56f RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 235
    41  HIToolbox                           0x00007fff8f0ae1ee ReceiveNextEventCommon + 179
    42  HIToolbox                           0x00007fff8f0ae12b _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter + 71
    43  AppKit                              0x00007fff99ac08ab _DPSNextEvent + 978
    44  AppKit                              0x00007fff99abfe58 -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 346
    45  AppKit                              0x00007fff99ab5af3 -[NSApplication run] + 594
    46  QtGui                               0x000000010f48845e _ZN14QDesktopWidget11resizeEventEP12QResizeEvent + 7166
    47  QtCore                              0x000000010ffd1fd8 _ZN10QEventLoop4execE6QFlagsINS_17ProcessEventsFlagEE + 504
    48  QtCore                              0x000000010ffd5197 _ZN16QCoreApplication4execEv + 199
    49  klayout                             0x0000000105d49b2b _ZN3lay11Application4execEv + 2187
    50  klayout                             0x0000000105d48bd7 _ZN3lay11Application3runEv + 5207
    51  klayout                             0x0000000104fa9cf5 _Z12klayout_mainiPPc + 341
    52  klayout                             0x0000000104fa9b0b main + 251
    53  libdyld.dylib                       0x00007fff8fe055c9 start + 1
    54  ???                                 0x0000000000000001 0x0 + 1

I push OK, and it crashes again:

Signal number: 11
    Address: 0x0
    Backtrace:
    2   ???                                 0xff80000000001003 0x0 + 18410715276690591747
    3   klayout                             0x0000000105e0f8f0 _ZN3lay16ViewObjectWidget9do_renderERKNS_8ViewportERNS_16ViewObjectCanvasEb + 176
    4   klayout                             0x0000000109c8f362 _ZN3lay12LayoutCanvas10paintEventEP11QPaintEvent + 770
    5   QtGui                               0x000000010f529386 _ZN7QWidget5eventEP6QEvent + 1206
    6   klayout                             0x0000000109c90e3b _ZN3lay12LayoutCanvas5eventEP6QEvent + 43
    7   QtGui                               0x000000010f4d49db _ZN19QApplicationPrivate13notify_helperEP7QObjectP6QEvent + 251
    8   QtGui                               0x000000010f4d776b _ZN12QApplication6notifyEP7QObjectP6QEvent + 6651
    9   klayout                             0x0000000105d4730b _ZN3lay11Application6notifyEP7QObjectP6QEvent + 11
    10  QtCore                              0x000000010ffd4c06 _ZN16QCoreApplication14notifyInternalEP7QObjectP6QEvent + 118
    11  QtGui                               0x000000010f5246b1 _ZN14QWidgetPrivate10drawWidgetEP12QPaintDeviceRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 1841
    12  QtGui                               0x000000010f524e5a _ZN14QWidgetPrivate22paintSiblingsRecursiveEP12QPaintDeviceRK5QListIP7QObjectEiRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 1226
    13  QtGui                               0x000000010f5248ae _ZN14QWidgetPrivate10drawWidgetEP12QPaintDeviceRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 2350
    14  QtGui                               0x000000010f524e5a _ZN14QWidgetPrivate22paintSiblingsRecursiveEP12QPaintDeviceRK5QListIP7QObjectEiRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 1226
    15  QtGui                               0x000000010f5248ae _ZN14QWidgetPrivate10drawWidgetEP12QPaintDeviceRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 2350
    16  QtGui                               0x000000010f524e5a _ZN14QWidgetPrivate22paintSiblingsRecursiveEP12QPaintDeviceRK5QListIP7QObjectEiRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 1226
    17  QtGui                               0x000000010f5248ae _ZN14QWidgetPrivate10drawWidgetEP12QPaintDeviceRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 2350
    18  QtGui                               0x000000010f524e5a _ZN14QWidgetPrivate22paintSiblingsRecursiveEP12QPaintDeviceRK5QListIP7QObjectEiRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 1226
    19  QtGui                               0x000000010f5248ae _ZN14QWidgetPrivate10drawWidgetEP12QPaintDeviceRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 2350
    20  QtGui                               0x000000010f524e5a _ZN14QWidgetPrivate22paintSiblingsRecursiveEP12QPaintDeviceRK5QListIP7QObjectEiRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 1226
    21  QtGui                               0x000000010f524cde _ZN14QWidgetPrivate22paintSiblingsRecursiveEP12QPaintDeviceRK5QListIP7QObjectEiRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 846
    22  QtGui                               0x000000010f524cde _ZN14QWidgetPrivate22paintSiblingsRecursiveEP12QPaintDeviceRK5QListIP7QObjectEiRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 846
    23  QtGui                               0x000000010f524cde _ZN14QWidgetPrivate22paintSiblingsRecursiveEP12QPaintDeviceRK5QListIP7QObjectEiRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 846
    24  QtGui                               0x000000010f5248ae _ZN14QWidgetPrivate10drawWidgetEP12QPaintDeviceRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 2350
    25  QtGui                               0x000000010f474e22 _ZN14QWidgetPrivate21setEnabled_helper_sysEb + 13490
    26  AppKit                              0x00007fff99b146ea -[NSView _drawRect:clip:] + 4335
    27  AppKit                              0x00007fff99b11483 -[NSView _recursiveDisplayRectIfNeededIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectForView:topView:] + 3198
    28  AppKit                              0x00007fff99b11fa0 -[NSView _recursiveDisplayRectIfNeededIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectForView:topView:] + 6043
    29  AppKit                              0x00007fff99b102f3 -[NSThemeFrame _recursiveDisplayRectIfNeededIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectForView:topView:] + 333
    30  AppKit                              0x00007fff99b0c68b -[NSView _displayRectIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectForView:] + 2761
    31  AppKit                              0x00007fff99ac41ae -[NSView displayIfNeeded] + 1876
    32  AppKit                              0x00007fff99ac3a09 -[NSWindow displayIfNeeded] + 236
    33  AppKit                              0x00007fff99ac3672 _handleWindowNeedsDisplayOrLayoutOrUpdateConstraints + 936
    34  AppKit                              0x00007fff9a1f9171 __83-[NSWindow _postWindowNeedsDisplayOrLayoutOrUpdateConstraintsUnlessPostingDisabled]_block_invoke1540 + 46
    35  CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff91626127 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_AN_OBSERVER_CALLBACK_FUNCTION__ + 23
    36  CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff91626080 __CFRunLoopDoObservers + 368
    37  CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff91618188 __CFRunLoopRun + 872
    38  CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff91617bd8 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 296
    39  HIToolbox                           0x00007fff8f0ae56f RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 235
    40  HIToolbox                           0x00007fff8f0ae1ee ReceiveNextEventCommon + 179
    41  HIToolbox                           0x00007fff8f0ae12b _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter + 71
    42  AppKit                              0x00007fff99ac08ab _DPSNextEvent + 978
    43  AppKit                              0x00007fff99abfe58 -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 346
    44  AppKit                              0x00007fff99ab5af3 -[NSApplication run] + 594
    45  QtGui                               0x000000010f48845e _ZN14QDesktopWidget11resizeEventEP12QResizeEvent + 7166
    46  QtCore                              0x000000010ffd1fd8 _ZN10QEventLoop4execE6QFlagsINS_17ProcessEventsFlagEE + 504
    47  QtCore                              0x000000010ffd5197 _ZN16QCoreApplication4execEv + 199
    48  klayout                             0x0000000105d49b2b _ZN3lay11Application4execEv + 2187
    49  klayout                             0x0000000105d48bd7 _ZN3lay11Application3runEv + 5207
    50  klayout                             0x0000000104fa9cf5 _Z12klayout_mainiPPc + 341
    51  klayout                             0x0000000104fa9b0b main + 251
    52  libdyld.dylib                       0x00007fff8fe055c9 start + 1
    53  ???                                 0x0000000000000001 0x0 + 1

and again, OK:

Signal number: 6
    Address: 0x7fff95903286
    Backtrace:
    2   ???                                 0x00007fff5ac507b8 0x0 + 140734716250040
    3   libsystem_c.dylib                   0x00007fff98f959b3 abort + 129
    4   libc++abi.dylib                     0x00007fff97ec7a21 __cxa_bad_cast + 0
    5   libc++abi.dylib                     0x00007fff97eef9d1 _ZL26default_unexpected_handlerv + 0
    6   libobjc.A.dylib                     0x00007fff8f96b7eb _ZL15_objc_terminatev + 124
    7   libc++abi.dylib                     0x00007fff97eed0a1 _ZSt11__terminatePFvvE + 8
    8   libc++abi.dylib                     0x00007fff97eed9a7 _ZN10__cxxabiv114call_terminateEbP17_Unwind_Exception + 35
    9   libc++abi.dylib                     0x00007fff97eed6af _ZN10__cxxabiv111scan_eh_tabERNS_12_GLOBAL__N_112scan_resultsE14_Unwind_ActionbP17_Unwind_ExceptionP15_Unwind_Context + 589
    10  libc++abi.dylib                     0x00007fff97eed382 __gxx_personality_v0 + 102
    11  libunwind.dylib                     0x00007fff8eee0951 _Unwind_RaiseException + 153
    12  libc++abi.dylib                     0x00007fff97eecb1f __cxa_throw + 104
    13  klayout                             0x0000000105d3b333 _ZN3lay14signal_handlerEiP9__siginfoPv + 3219
    14  libsystem_platform.dylib            0x00007fff9bc69f1a _sigtramp + 26
    15  ???                                 0xff80000000001003 0x0 + 18410715276690591747
    16  klayout                             0x0000000105e0f8f0 _ZN3lay16ViewObjectWidget9do_renderERKNS_8ViewportERNS_16ViewObjectCanvasEb + 176
    17  klayout                             0x0000000109c8f362 _ZN3lay12LayoutCanvas10paintEventEP11QPaintEvent + 770
    18  QtGui                               0x000000010f529386 _ZN7QWidget5eventEP6QEvent + 1206
    19  klayout                             0x0000000109c90e3b _ZN3lay12LayoutCanvas5eventEP6QEvent + 43
    20  QtGui                               0x000000010f4d49db _ZN19QApplicationPrivate13notify_helperEP7QObjectP6QEvent + 251
    21  QtGui                               0x000000010f4d776b _ZN12QApplication6notifyEP7QObjectP6QEvent + 6651
    22  klayout                             0x0000000105d4730b _ZN3lay11Application6notifyEP7QObjectP6QEvent + 11
    23  QtCore                              0x000000010ffd4c06 _ZN16QCoreApplication14notifyInternalEP7QObjectP6QEvent + 118
    24  QtGui                               0x000000010f5246b1 _ZN14QWidgetPrivate10drawWidgetEP12QPaintDeviceRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 1841
    25  QtGui                               0x000000010f524e5a _ZN14QWidgetPrivate22paintSiblingsRecursiveEP12QPaintDeviceRK5QListIP7QObjectEiRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 1226
    26  QtGui                               0x000000010f5248ae _ZN14QWidgetPrivate10drawWidgetEP12QPaintDeviceRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 2350
    27  QtGui                               0x000000010f524e5a _ZN14QWidgetPrivate22paintSiblingsRecursiveEP12QPaintDeviceRK5QListIP7QObjectEiRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 1226
    28  QtGui                               0x000000010f5248ae _ZN14QWidgetPrivate10drawWidgetEP12QPaintDeviceRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 2350
    29  QtGui                               0x000000010f524e5a _ZN14QWidgetPrivate22paintSiblingsRecursiveEP12QPaintDeviceRK5QListIP7QObjectEiRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 1226
    30  QtGui                               0x000000010f5248ae _ZN14QWidgetPrivate10drawWidgetEP12QPaintDeviceRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 2350
    31  QtGui                               0x000000010f524e5a _ZN14QWidgetPrivate22paintSiblingsRecursiveEP12QPaintDeviceRK5QListIP7QObjectEiRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 1226
    32  QtGui                               0x000000010f5248ae _ZN14QWidgetPrivate10drawWidgetEP12QPaintDeviceRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 2350
    33  QtGui                               0x000000010f524e5a _ZN14QWidgetPrivate22paintSiblingsRecursiveEP12QPaintDeviceRK5QListIP7QObjectEiRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 1226
    34  QtGui                               0x000000010f524cde _ZN14QWidgetPrivate22paintSiblingsRecursiveEP12QPaintDeviceRK5QListIP7QObjectEiRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 846
    35  QtGui                               0x000000010f524cde _ZN14QWidgetPrivate22paintSiblingsRecursiveEP12QPaintDeviceRK5QListIP7QObjectEiRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 846
    36  QtGui                               0x000000010f524cde _ZN14QWidgetPrivate22paintSiblingsRecursiveEP12QPaintDeviceRK5QListIP7QObjectEiRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 846
    37  QtGui                               0x000000010f5248ae _ZN14QWidgetPrivate10drawWidgetEP12QPaintDeviceRK7QRegionRK6QPointiP8QPainterP19QWidgetBackingStore + 2350
    38  QtGui                               0x000000010f474e22 _ZN14QWidgetPrivate21setEnabled_helper_sysEb + 13490
    39  AppKit                              0x00007fff99b146ea -[NSView _drawRect:clip:] + 4335
    40  AppKit                              0x00007fff99b11483 -[NSView _recursiveDisplayRectIfNeededIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectForView:topView:] + 3198
    41  AppKit                              0x00007fff99b11fa0 -[NSView _recursiveDisplayRectIfNeededIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectForView:topView:] + 6043
    42  AppKit                              0x00007fff99b102f3 -[NSThemeFrame _recursiveDisplayRectIfNeededIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectForView:topView:] + 333
    43  AppKit                              0x00007fff99b0c68b -[NSView _displayRectIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectForView:] + 2761
    44  AppKit                              0x00007fff99ac41ae -[NSView displayIfNeeded] + 1876
    45  AppKit                              0x00007fff99ac3a09 -[NSWindow displayIfNeeded] + 236
    46  AppKit                              0x00007fff99ac3672 _handleWindowNeedsDisplayOrLayoutOrUpdateConstraints + 936
    47  AppKit                              0x00007fff9a1f9171 __83-[NSWindow _postWindowNeedsDisplayOrLayoutOrUpdateConstraintsUnlessPostingDisabled]_block_invoke1540 + 46
    48  CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff91626127 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_AN_OBSERVER_CALLBACK_FUNCTION__ + 23
    49  CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff91626080 __CFRunLoopDoObservers + 368
    50  CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff91618188 __CFRunLoopRun + 872
    51  CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff91617bd8 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 296
    52  HIToolbox                           0x00007fff8f0ae56f RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 235
    53  HIToolbox                           0x00007fff8f0ae1ee ReceiveNextEventCommon + 179
    54  HIToolbox                           0x00007fff8f0ae12b _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter + 71
    55  AppKit                              0x00007fff99ac08ab _DPSNextEvent + 978
    56  AppKit                              0x00007fff99abfe58 -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 346
    57  AppKit                              0x00007fff99ab5af3 -[NSApplication run] + 594
    58  QtGui                               0x000000010f48845e _ZN14QDesktopWidget11resizeEventEP12QResizeEvent + 7166
    59  QtCore                              0x000000010ffd1fd8 _ZN10QEventLoop4execE6QFlagsINS_17ProcessEventsFlagEE + 504
    60  QtCore                              0x000000010ffd5197 _ZN16QCoreApplication4execEv + 199
    61  klayout                             0x0000000105d49b2b _ZN3lay11Application4execEv + 2187
    62  klayout                             0x0000000105d48bd7 _ZN3lay11Application3runEv + 5207
    63  klayout                             0x0000000104fa9cf5 _Z12klayout_mainiPPc + 341
    64  klayout                             0x0000000104fa9b0b main + 251
    65  libdyld.dylib                       0x00007fff8fe055c9 start + 1
    66  ???                                 0x0000000000000001 0x0 + 1

and again OK, the following line just changes; otherwise the same info:

2   ???                                 0x00007fff5ac43548 0x0 + 140734716196168

• edited November -1

Hi Lukas,

thanks for the stack traces. I'll have a look at that. I hope I'm able to reproduce the issue.

Best regards,

Matthias

• edited November -1

Hi Matthias,

I notice that perhaps the functionality of nested PCells has changed. I am using the following method of instantiating a PCell and creating a cell:

pcell = ly.create_cell( .... )

Previously, I was enjoying having a PCell call another PCell, and seeing the entire cell structure in the GDS hierarchy. I was using this for my netlist extraction. Namely, I scan the hierarchy for primitive components for which I have compact models; and assume that the component is a cell in the hierarchy. Now, it seems that the create_cell function flattens everything below it? Is there way to keep the cells and hierarchy?

By the way, regarding the crashes above, they still occur if I have a layout open, make changes to the PCell script file, and run the file. To avoid the crashing, I need to close the layout, run the PCell definition script, then open the layout again.

Thank you

Lukas

• edited November -1

Hi Lukas,

I'm not aware of having changed something there in 0.24.5 (compared to 0.24.4). Flattening should not happen. But if you are using the code above (from 8th of November) there is an explicit flatten call.

Regarding the crashes: I'm aware that changing PCell code while the layout is open is a critical operation, specifically if nested PCells are involved. I'm not sure whether I have received some sample code from you yet - maybe given real code would help me to reproduce it. Or are you referring to the first version of the script above?

Thanks,

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Hi Lukas and Matthias,
    is there any update/solution to the crash caused by nested PCells when the layout is open?
    I still have this issue.

Thanks,
    Antoine
  • edited November -1

Hi Antoine,

that issue is really old (almost exactly 2 years) :-)

Does this still happen with 0.25.3 (the latest version)?

If it does, please provide a testcase for the issue (code preferred).

Regards,

Matthias