Support for properties on vias in LEF

I have a LEF where I've put a property on a VIA in LEF. When I load this into KLayout I get:

ERROR: ./util/def2gds.py:10: Expected token: END (line=1978, cell=, file=14lppxl_13m_tech.lef) in Layout.read
./util/def2gds.py:10 (class exceptions.RuntimeError)

The relevant line is:

PROPERTY OR_DEFAULT 1 ;

I looked at dbLEFImporter.cc and I didn't spot any support for properties on vias. I can generate a test case if needed but this seems to be an omission. No other tools have had an issue with this LEF.

Comments

• Hi,

Could you please provide more context? Like where this property line appears? Ideally you would provide a short test file that reproduces the problem.

LEF/DEF underwent some heavy refactoring recently, but this new version is not finalized yet. I can try if this problem vanishes with this branch.

Matthias

• I will put one together but it is just inside a VIA statement in LEF. Btw, why write your own parser when Si2 provides an open source parser (https://si2.org/oa-tools-utils-libs/)

• This is a minimal LEF to reproduce the problem. I'm not sure how to upload an attachment or I would provide a more complete test case. Thanks.

VERSION 5.6 ;

UNITS
    DATABASE MICRONS 2000 ;
    END UNITS

PROPERTYDEFINITIONS
    VIA OR_DEFAULT STRING ;
    END PROPERTYDEFINITIONS

LAYER metal1
    TYPE ROUTING ;
    END metal1

LAYER via1
    TYPE CUT ;
    END via1

LAYER metal2
    TYPE ROUTING ;
    END metal2

VIA via1_4 DEFAULT
    LAYER via1 ;
    RECT -0.035 -0.035 0.035 0.035 ;
    LAYER metal1 ;
    RECT -0.035 -0.07 0.035 0.07 ;
    LAYER metal2 ;
    RECT -0.035 -0.07 0.035 0.07 ;
    PROPERTY OR_DEFAULT Y ;
    END via1_4

END LIBRARY

• edited June 2020

There is an "attach file" button (the "document" thing) in the comment editor. Wrap it all in a .zip file, so it gets accepted as a legal file format.

And you don't need to point me to Si2 sources. I know them well. If this means you volunteer for integrating third-party code into KLayout and maintaining this solution, you're welcome to do so. I'd be really happy to drop that crap from the source base. But please don't expect me to justify my decision not to use their code.

Matthias

• I only just noticed this reply now. I didn't mean to offend and am not asking you to justify your decision.

I tried to attach the above as test.lef but it appears that .lef is not an accepted extension. Do you want it as a .txt?

• No offense taken and sorry for this reply. I don't recall why exactly I wrote that this way, but let's just assume it was the weird COVID situation by then ...

Matthias