The parasitic resistance extraction tool based on Klayout

Dear all,
Here is chipR.
Which is based on Klayout, I use it to extract chip's metal parasitic Resistance.
Also, it can extract PCB's metal parasitic resistance.
Maybe it is useful for you.

The result matches to other finite element method's one. Its advantage is that it allows designers to extract metal's resistance more than one port.

Thank Matthias and his Klayout.

Comments

• Wow! thanks for lot for providing this.

I could not find a license - only mentioning that it's free for use at home. What specifically is meant by "at home"?

I also need to say that parasitic extraction is a hot topic for open source EDA. Eventually the goal was to integrate this with device extraction, so a full extracted netlist becomes available.

Kind regards,

Matthias

• edited March 2020

Hi,
    By now, I have not any idea about a license. It seems that there are many types of licenses in the world.
    I am confused by them. So I write the words "free for personal use at home" just because of the clear meaning.
    "personal "-->not for business
    "at home"--> not for company

the parasitic extraction is useful in both IC design and PCB. especially, in ultra-sub-micron-meter (~<200 nm, for example, 0.18um, 90nm, 55nm...). the metal path's parasitic resistance & capacitance play an important role. many popular EDAs have been developed some extraction tools.

I find there is very little free tool to do this. So I try to do a simple tool.
    This "chipR" uses one simple and different algorithm to extract the parasitic parameters.
    I compare this tool's result to other time-consuming EDA or finite element methods. It has a good match result.
    It is fast, accurate, easy.

I apply it to my chip project to do some intuition analysis. I find it very useful.

I like it becomes a free EDA tool.

Of cause, It based on the great Klayout!
    Thank your Klayout.

• I received one message telling me the bad link to download chipR.
    Now the link is repaired.

Also if any problem during using this tool please let me know.
    Thanks.

• ChipR works great - thanks for posting.
    One thing it doesn't appear to do is post process the results.
    Is there a way to get voltage maps and current density maps from the results?
    Thanks

• I use klayout for business, from home. I would like to
    see add-ons have the same liberal licensing as the
    platform. Ideally, just copy it.

• Hi, Dean!

If commercial tool could suit your needs, you may be interested to look at ParagonX. Tool is extractor-agnostic and provides much more analyses then voltage/current density maps.

Disclaimer: I work for company that created ParagonX.

• that was some time ago ... anyway, what about this ChipR tool .. is it still around? Link doesn't seem to work.
    Not sure if it is comparable, but there were also discussions about the integration of FastHenry into KLayout. Does anyone know if there is some progress in terms of R(C)-extraction (either as Klayout module or standalone).
    BTW, OpenRCX seems to work with DEF files only, thus, it seems not usable in a general context.

• Well ... there definitely is a demand for RC extraction. FastCap/FastHenry is an option. However, users ask for fast-and-simple solutions as of now.

I am looking for information about basic algorithms and approaches for implementing such a feature - if anyone comes across a description how the OpenRCX algorithm works, let me know. Honestly this code is not easy to read.

Matthias

• Hi @hycmos
    Thank you very much.
    Can you give us the link to download ChipR again?

I can not download from the link you sent.

dai

• edited November 2022

Actually, OpenRCX does not extract the parasitic ; it calls the software recommended by the foundry (a commercial tool :s ) as it is explained here :
    https://github.com/The-OpenROAD-Project/OpenRCX/blob/master/doc/calibration.txt

Laurent

• "this code is not easy to read."

That's the world of FOSS EDA tools (with very rare exceptions, like Klayout).

• "Actually, OpenRCX does not extract the parasitic ; it calls the software recommended by the foundry"

That's hilarious.

FOSS pointer to a commercial tool recommended by the foundry.

• @dai - do you need this for one-time thing, or for academic purposes, for research, or for commercial applications?

• Hi @Max,
    Thank you for asking. I have done my macro so it is fine for me now. But if i have ChipR i want to compare speed with it to see if i can improve my macro more.

dai